Thursday, May 27, 2010













Fruit For You
So, Christy got me this new book all about how the Beatles recorded their innovative and unbelievable albums and one of the things that I’ve learned in reading this book is how cut-throat a producer can be... See, a record producer’s job back then was simply to make hit records. They had one goal, which was commercial success and they would do anything to achieve it. For instance, the classic Beatles song, “Love Me Do” has a different drummer on it! Apparently Ringo couldn’t get the part right, so the legendary producer, George Martin simply hired another drummer! It didn’t matter that Ringo was angry, hurt and humiliated by this. It only mattered that the drums on “Love Me Do” sounded right. And, apparently George Harrison often labored unsuccessfully to get his guitar solo right, like on the song “Taxman” where he struggled in vain to play a passable take for over three hours. Finally, George Martin walked in the studio and said that Paul McCartney was going to play the solo. Harrison started yelling at the producer and finally stormed out of the studio! Fortunately for the album, Paul laid down an unbelievable part on the very first take.
I think there’s a part of me that sometimes wonders if God is like a record producer... what I mean is, I know He’s after a final product. I know He’s interested in yield and sometimes I feel afraid that if I don’t produce, He’s not interested in me because what He wants is a hit, whether or not I’m even on it. I mean, look at John 15 where Jesus says, “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.”
Jesus says God is a farmer who wants fruit! He wants that final product, and He’ll do whatever He’s got to do to get it! Look at Ephesians 4 where Paul says, “Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called.” He wants us to walk this thing. He wants results... but you know what, I don’t think that’s all He wants.
This week, Jack started to walk on his own. Most kids his age have been walking for a while, but Jack has taken his time to get there. Most likely he’s struggled because of his hearing and balance. He recently had surgery on his ears and the doctor said that he’s pretty sure Jack couldn’t hear a thing, but either way, it’s been a long time coming. I’ve been holding his little fingers and conducting walking practice like crazy for months. I really want him to walk. When I finally saw him walking for the first time by himself, I cried. I was going crazy with excitement and crying. The thing is, if Jack never, ever walked, I’d still love the guy and I’d be glad to carry him everywhere. I want him to walk, but I want him to walk because walking is good for him. It’s better that way. God wants us to walk with Him. He wants us to be fruitful, but not just because He wants a stocked up fruit stand. He wants you to be fruitful, because it’s better for you. You’re better that way. He’s not just some record producer looking for hits at the expense of the band; no, He loves you and wants to see the best you for your own sake. A fruitful you is a better you for you and that’s what He wants.


Oh, and here's a little video I put together for that big moment:


Jack! from James Younger on Vimeo.

No comments:

Cluster Map